[thelist] Getting Login Name & Password

James Hardy evolt at weeb.biz
Wed May 25 12:48:30 CDT 2005

j s wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Is there a way, on a web page(asp), to pick up the user's login name & password that was used to login into their pc with?
>
>Jess

if you are using IIS and are doing this on an intranet with a domain you
can use NTLM authentication. Internet Explorer will, when faced with
this automatically pass the username and a hash of the password to the
server. You can access the username with
Request.ServerVariable("AUTH_USER") which will be in the format

domain\username

this is an IE only solution. Firefox and Mozilla Suite have support for
NTLM, but it will pop up a username password box so is not seamless.
Other browsers, I don;t think do (though the open source ones are likely
to take the code from mozilla at sometime). You also have to be on the
same subnet I think, or it fails (or that might have just been the setup
at the place I last used it)

The password, you won;t ever get, with good reason, as it would be a
huge security rish, and I believe that it is only stored on the system
as a hash rather than the password that is entered.