[thelist] Database merging

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Wed Jun 1 02:16:33 CDT 2005

Evolt wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have a question about database development.
>
> How do I go about merging databases? The problem is that the databases
> on the production and staging servers are different, and now I need to
> move stage to production. Production has some tables that no longer
> exist in stage, and vice versa. In addition, some columns have been
> removed and others added.

I say get a dump from both servers and run it through a diff-like
program.  This should highlight any differences and let you know where
you need to concentrate your efforts.

I hope you are not forgetting about the application side of this.
Change a database schema can have very bad effects on poorly designed
applications. For example, applications that don't specify the tables in
an insert -- INSERT INTO `table` VALUES (....).  You change the order of
the columns, the number of columns or anything else, and the application
will error out.

HTH,
Burhan