[thelist] Site Review - http://wizardev.ca/

Michele Foster - WizarDev michele at wizardev.ca
Wed Jun 1 15:49:18 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tyme" <newsgroups at no-pun.com>

> From: "Minh Lee Goon" <evolt at goonies.info>

> > Michele Foster - WizarDev wrote:
> >>
> >> So, here it is ... http://wizardev.ca/
>
> > Michele, I really like the site. It is certainly well done. I do have a
> > couple of recommendations for minor changes. I would remove the top and
> > bottom margins and make them 0px instead of 10 px. I didn't examine your
> > stylesheet that closely, but I'm sure you've written it well there, too.
>
> TYME} Was thinking that it wanted for a wee bit more top/bottom padding.

I actually agree with Tyme .. and added a bit more space for now.  Who
knows, I might change my mind again and remove it altogether tomorrow.  :)

> > I'd also take out your Résumé page. It just doesn't fit there. You're
> > already using the rest of your site to showcase your talents. The résumé
> > seems redundant and unnecessary.
>
> TYME} I would agree.  When you are promoting your own business, Portfolio
> (or Projects) seems more appropriate for showing your stuff than a resume.
> Save that for trying to land a staff job somewhere.

Ok, points taken about the resume page.  I'll move that elsewhere, make it
less prominent.  Might just be a link from the front page and Services page.
My last few jobs have come from agencies, and they've wanted a resume.  I'd
like to keep it available somewhere, but will not have it as a main link on
the top nav.

> > Also, Portfolio might be more appropriate than Projects... but that's
just
> > semantics.

This is a tough one .. and I need to think about it some more.  It's not
just a Portfolio, in the traditional sense.  It really is Project
Descriptions ... but I see validity in using common terminology.  I would
like to keep it to one word.  If I change it to Portfolio, does it make
sense to still have the other project descriptions there, that aren't web?
One of the reasons I dislike the term Portfolio, is that my first impression
is *design* work.

Any other ideas?

> > If you ignore all my comments, it's still a good site :)
>
> TYME} It is a beautiful site!  Very clean, stylish.  Bright, vibrant. Love
> the shorter flower graphic at bottom to give nice balance.  ...Great
example
> of how CSS can be used effectively.

Thanks for the kind words!!  :)

Mich