[thelist] Shared Server company

Dan McCullough dan.mccullough at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 10:52:34 CDT 2005

I find that that server admins and hardware people are the worst to
debug scripting issues, they tend to have that approach.  I had a
similar situation in which I was notified by the NEW hosting company,
the clients went with this company without telling me, and the hosting
company tried to install my custom code on their servers with very
little knowledge, telling the client that there was bugs in the code.
Anyway the admins decided that the problem was PHP 4.3, which wasnt
installed after they first tried to run the code, fail so they
upgraded to PHP 5, which my code hadnt even been tested on.  2 days
later I was notified by the client that somone from a hosting company
would be contacting me about the code bugs and if I could fix them
quickly.  Long story short, I got the root password, wiped and
reinstalled the OS and my software, and the thing ran like a champ off
the originally tar file I gave to teh client 3 years earlier.  I then
emailed the client telling him EXACTLY what I did.

Moral of the story is the orginal developer will be able to
troubleshoot in no time where an admin will posibly make matters
worse.

Since I havent been following your unfortunate saga, hows it going?
Are you getting it resolved, or just one headache still?

If you would like someone to look at the problem I could have some
people do some digging, but contact me offlist.