[thelist] FUN: How widely used is each web technology?

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Tue Jun 14 00:27:37 CDT 2005

Stuart Young wrote:
> It is quite common nowadays to use the number of results in a Google search to prove how popular a word is compared to other words...
> So, I wondered, how popular (according to Google) are each of the web technologies?
> RSS 	269,000,000
..
> JavaScript 	101,000,000
> CSS 	72,600,000

Hm, I have a hard time believing that RSS is more popular than
Javascript or CSS (or for that matter PHP and "ASP" (cf Matt's reply)).

Maybe there is more discussion of it globally, but does that make it a
more popular technology?  I'm not sure comparing the popularity of the
word for a technology is an accurate measure of the usage of the
technology, except in the broadest possible way (yes, InkML usage
probably is less widespread than HTML, unsurprisingly).  Rather this
list seems a measure of the amount of "buzz" those technologies are
presently generating across the web.

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/