[thelist] CSS-Only Forms That Don't Suck

Stephane Deschamps stephane.deschamps at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 06:42:28 CDT 2005

On 6/16/05, Jeff Howden wrote:

> http://dev.jeffhowden.com/css_forms/

Nice work Jeff.

Something about accessibility: the "required" error message may not be
perceived as relevant to the form element it's supposed to be related
to.

Think linear here:

- beginning of page: "We encountered errors in the information you
submitted. Please check the fields marked below and try again."

- several lines of text

- "Please enter your name and address as they are listed for your
debit card, credit card, or bank account."
- [1] field name: "First Name: "
- [2] important information: "Required."
- [3] second field: "Last Name:"

I get the impression that a user with a screen reader will not
naturally understand the relationship and will feel that 2 is related
to 3.

Maybe you could try something like "First name (REQUIRED) :" and then
through CSS pull "required" out of the flow for the desired effect.

Of course in my example I don't take into account bigger messages like
the username error message, for which I don't have an answer right
now. (hah, how's that for laziness)

--
Stephane Deschamps
personal: http://nota-bene.org/