[thelist] Restricting Internet Access by LAN IP

James Hardy evolt at weeb.biz
Wed Jun 29 05:21:28 CDT 2005

Matthew Lewis wrote:

> The problems are that the organization in question doesn't have money
> for another box to install Linux on

A linux squid server can actually be on an insanely low powered machine.
I run my proxy/firewall on a 200MHz Pentium with 64Mb of RAM and a 2Gb
HD that I found on the pavement after someone had thrown it out ; and it
still has memory and processor to spare serving up to 4 machines.

> I think the hosts file will be the easiest alternative at this point,
> if someone can head me in the right direction with it.

On the machines to be restricted, in the IP Address Settings window
change the DNS addresses to 127.0.0.1 or any other address that doesn't
serve DNS
place the addresses to allow access to in hosts files in the format:
67.19.100.194    www.evolt.org
then make sure your normal users do not write permissions to this file
nor the IP address settings