[thelist] Good "tests" for prospective employees?

Peter-Paul Koch pp.koch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:04:25 CDT 2005

> Has anyone had potential low-end developers (html/css/light db and
> scripting) complete any kind of qualifying "test" as part of the hiring
> process?  I've got people interviewing for a production position next
> week, and wondered if anyone had done this.  I'd like to test their css
> skills, and just make sure they have experience working with site on a
> real-world (rather than a textbook) basis.

I'm doing a bit of junior CSS developer recruitment on the side, and I
test my applicants as follows:

1) Ask for three portfolio pieces. If they don't have them, refuse them.
3) Compare in several browsers. Does the site look (reasonably) the
same in these browsers? If not, application refused.
4) At this point in time I mail them that they've made it through the
first round and I invite them for a meeting.

5) During the meeting I do a live CSS test:
  a) Ask them to describe the box model and its problems. They should
be able to summarize the difference between W3C and IE box model, and
name one solution for box model problems.
  b) Show them a design (on paper) and ask them how they would
implement certain features. In my case I show them form fields with
rounded corners (answer: background image), a list of links with a
custom image (answer: list-style-image and/or background image on LI
or A), and an application of Sliding Doors, a technique they should be
able to describe (though they don't need to know the name).
Of course you'll have to set up your own test here. Take a design you
recently implemented and ask them how they'd code some medium-tricky
bits. They should be able to name one valid approach for each problem.
6) When the applicants pass this test I have confirmed they can do CSS
well enough to start right away.
7) To be on the safe side, just talk about making websites. Usually
you can find out if someone has real-life experience or just textbook
experience.

JavaScript is more difficult, and I haven't yet developed a standard
test. If they claim to be very good at JavaScript, ask them to explain
the difference between /this/ and /self/. That usually shuts them up.