[thelist] Email address hiding question

Steve Axthelm steveax at pobox.com
Fri Jul 1 14:48:00 CDT 2005

At 00:39 on 2005/07/01, mwarden at gmail.com (Matt Warden) wrote:

> Just a note that Smarty has this functionality built in:
>
> http://smarty.php.net/manual/en/language.function.mailto.php
>
> I typically use the 'hex' encoding as, to me, it's the least messy and
> most accessible. It still has "mailto" in it, so I guess a spider
> might pick it up, but it's enough peace of mind for me.

Yeah, I don't like the dependence on javascript either. I've been html encoding (randomly, ~ 45% hex, 45% decimal, 10% raw) and so far that seems to have kept the spiders away.

The encoder is available here:

<http://pangram.org/misc/encode.pl>

Or if you're interested in the perl script drop me a line and I'll send it your way.

-Steve

--
Steve Axthelm
steveax at pobox.com