[thelist] Dealing with "feel good" comment spam

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 09:08:01 CDT 2005

On 7/3/05, Christian Heilmann <codepo8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just got flooded with hundreds of comments praising my blog as a
> "great guestbook" and "wealth of information" and  "visiting again as
> this  is cool".
>
> What puzzles me most is that they don't link to any spam sites, like
> normal comment spams do.
>
> How can you counteract those,

Well, what CMS are you using? Wordpress has whitelisting, which is
what I typically use (i.e., Put in moderation queue unless this poster
has posted an approved comment before).

> and why the deuce do people do this?  To
> verify they can post?

That, and maybe they are testing out some spamming program and don't
have a site (yet).

Or maybe they're just bored.

--
Matt Warden