[thelist] Positioning item with CSS

Dominick Cancilla dominick.cancilla at buckconsultants.com
Mon Jul 11 14:18:58 CDT 2005

Thanks for the advice.

You're right -- I tried using floats after getting some good advice from
this board, but went back to absolutes. The problem was the graphic that
overlaps the text area -- using floats, IE for Windows would not display the
thin part of the image that was outside of the text area. Do you know a
workaround?

Thanks again to all for tolerating my newbie questions!

--Dominick

On 7/11/05 9:20 AM, "Maximillian Schwanekamp" <lists at neptunewebworks.com>
wrote:

> Dominick Cancilla wrote:
>> http://www.anthonysapienza.com/test/art/
>>
>> In the upper right corner there is a little copyright statement. I want that
>> statement to appear at the bottom right of the outlined text box. My problem
>> is that the height of the text box changes depending on how much text is in
>> it, and I don't know how to make the copyright statement move along with it.
>
> Dominick,
>
> You're using absolute positioning for everything, so you're going to
> have a hard time making the page flow according to variable content
> lengths.  I suggest you use floats instead.  Your CSS seems to indicate
> that you tried floats and hard trouble, since you have rules with e.g.
> float: left; position: absolute;  Float has no effect with absolute
> positioned elements.  You can get closer to what you're asking by
> modifying a couple of your rules:
>
> .Legal {
> font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
> font-size: 10px;
> color: #2D6D73;
> clear: both;
> text-align: right;
> width: 597px;
> margin-left: 50px;
> }
> .Content {
> background-color: #000000;
> background-image: url(bg.jpg);
> background-repeat: no-repeat;
> float: none;
> border: 1px solid #7D999B;
> margin-left: 50px;
> margin-top: 40px;
> width: 597px;
> left: 50px;
> top: 40px;
>
> }

If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.(17b)