[thelist] Ideas

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Tue Jul 12 03:42:32 CDT 2005

Norman Beresford wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just looking to get some ideas flung at me.  The basics are this:
>
> We've built a client's site using our inhouse CMS system.  The client is
> busy adding new content to the site.  The CMS produces XML, which the
> presentation layer is transforming into HTML.
>
> Now the problem.  The client wants to have a flash intro showing a book
> having it's front cover torn away to reveal the site.  We created a
> simple flash splash screen which showed a book having it's front cover
> ripping away, and then redirecting to the HTML site, however they're not
> happy with that. My only thought at the moment is to have a pure Flash
> presentation layer created which will use the CMS produced XML to
> display the site.  However I'm not certain how well Flash will display
> HTML markup?

Don't you just love clients? :)

I'm not a Flash guru, but AS can read XML documents, so it might be as
simple as writing a flash movie that fetches the content directly from
your XML content base and renders it in the movie.

> I did think about having an iFrame hidden beneath a flash object, which
> would then be made visible using javascript, but I didn't know how well
> this would work.
>
> I guess a third possibility would be to re-write the page after the
> flash movie had run by using Javascript.

Load the flash movie in an iframe, then trigger the redirect in the
iframe itself.  This *should* appear to the viewer as a seamless
transaction.  I'm not sure how you did the initial redirect, but if it
was like normal redirects, then the whole page would have had to reload.

This would work great if your site was fixed width, as you can set the
iframe to the width of the site.

Hope this helps,
Burhan