[thelist] Javascript to alter a select list

raanders at mailporter.net raanders at mailporter.net
Tue Jul 12 16:20:35 CDT 2005

I'm really on a roll this week.  But before I go on I want to thank the
list for all the input.  There was a question last week or the one
before and I never replied to answer I got --- then lost the message.
The short answer I got was to look at AJAX.  I still haven't been able
to do more than peek at it but it did appear to have the potential to
solve my problem.

So off to the next one or two.  I'd prefer to sort the answer out myself
but and been disappointed with what I'm finding for books and articles
on heavy duty ECMAscript-ing and the DOM.  I have several books and a
subscription to Safari but still find answers to the same ( types of )
questions.  Usually not very heavy duty stuff.
    So what are your ( the lists ) recommendations on books and articles
on scripting?  My next question should explain what I'm looking for but
haven't been able to do successfully with what I've found.

Next question.  Has anyone done a dynamic select list -- with option
groups?  I can do some serious sledge hammering to get the select list
to change but it is not generic and requires coding in the values and
slamming and recreating the object if it needs to go back.

I found a lot of one-off scripts but nothing generic.  Heck I don't even
need for it to be free.  And as I type this I get thinking it might be
better to create each version of the select list and just use those.
    So back to the question.  Anyone have an example of building select
lists with option groups?

TIA,
Rod
--