[thelist] Re: Dreamweaver site (template?)

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 03:15:28 CDT 2005

Roger H. wrote:

>Unfortunately, we are still having the same problem, and nothing that we
>change in the template reflects with what the live site shows. So
>frustrating! But again, thanks for all the help folks. We'll keep playing
>with it.

You have checked the FTP details are publishing into the same web space
as you're looking at, and ensured you are not getting proxy server
caching or browser caching?

Are you sure the things you are editing are in a NON editable part of
the page? Changes within editable regions are not propagated when you
save the template.

Are you sure Dreamweaver is actually uploading the pages when you put?
Date/time issues on the server may prevent this working correctly, also
see below.

The only common problem that templates have is that the application uses
its cache file to decide which pages are linked to the template, and
sometimes the cache becomes out of date.

You can tell if this may be a problem by watching the report as
Dreamweaver updates the pages in the site when you save a template file.
It reports how many pages examined and how many updated. If the two
numbers don't match, there could be a problem. Also, if the number of
pages doesn't match the number of pages *you* think use the template,
then the same thing could apply.

I strongly suggest you recreate the cache file (Site > Advanced >
Recreate the site cache) and then:
1. edit the template - type a space or whatever into a NON editable
region; ie part of the page that the template controls
2. save
3. update the site when prompted
4. run the synchronise command from the site menu, and ensure that it is
updating all the pages,

The reason for the last is that the put command may not upload the file
if it doesn't think the dates and size have changed compared to the
version on the server.

HTH

Cheers

Ian

PS Re. comments about SSI, Dreamweaver templates are still useful with
SSI, imho; they let you control the page structure in a much more
manageable way than having separate SSI for the top and tail of pages.
SSI equate more closely to Dreamweaver Library items in use, rather than
templates. Templates are great for controlling SSI statements, CSS links
and page structure outside of content areas.