[thelist] ASP: Server.ScriptTimeout

Chris at globet.com Chris at globet.com
Thu Jul 14 12:58:17 CDT 2005

All

If I send a request for a web service from a web server and the target
server has problems, I get ScriptTimeout Expired errors. Is there any
way to handle this error within the script issuing the request? I know I
could use custom error pages, but this option is not currently
available.

Usually for this type of error handling I would use:

On Error Resume Next

And then test thus:

If Err.Count <> 0 Then
	Response.Write "There has been an error, please try again"
End

With the ScriptTimeout Expired error this does not seem possible because
the script processing is halted. There's no point in extending the
ScriptTimeout value because if the target server is having problems this
needs to be reported rather than leaving the user waiting.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Chris Marsh