[thelist] Post format (was: Funny tables in Firefox: height = 100%)

Jason Handby jasonh at corestar.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 04:25:44 CDT 2005

Hi Rick,

> (I'm top-posting only because of the mess below that came in
> on the list.)
>
> I'm just lurking and trying to decide whether to stay on this list.
>
> Are there no rules on post format like no top-posting, strip
> extraneous text (for instance duplicate footers), responding
> directly to the question, maybe spelling most words
> correctly, not posting responses in the middle of quoted
> text, having *all* the quoted text prefixed with the quoting
> symbol, and that sort of thing?
>
> I'm sure there's good info and intent here on many of the
> posts, but some are sure messy!
>
> Any info appreciated. Maybe these messes are not the norm and
> I should stick around? Or maybe there's an offline moderator
> trying to help out?
>
> Thanks (and please, no one take any offense, because I didn't
> intend any),

I think most people often make an effort not to top-post, etc. But it
doesn't always work out. Sometimes it bugs me, but I find that generally
the informational content of this list is pretty high and the amount of
junk is pretty low; so personally I just go with it. Putting up with a
small amount of bad formatting, juvenile platform-bashing, etc. is a
pretty small price to pay, IMHO, compared to some other lists I've been
on. Generally speaking this is a helpful and positive bunch of people.

If someone wanted to create a clear statement of posting guidelines --
and maybe link to it from the footer -- I guess that wouldn't be a bad
thing. But my guess is that the people who don't know not to top-post
also don't read posting guidelines :-)

Jason