[thelist] Proximity/Radius searching?

Peter Wakeford pwakeford at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:47:51 CDT 2005

Hi,

are there any affordable solutions for integrating a radius search from a specified address.  For example, returning all zip codes or addresses withing 'x' miles from a specified address. I'd like to integrate this radius/proximity searching into an existing website.

Most of the products out there seem to offer a web service that is subscription-based and/or transaction-based.  Are there any alternative solutions out there or is this the way to go?

I've briefly explored (still waiting for responses from customer service for pricing):
- Microsoft MapPoint web service
- MapQuest's Site Advantage Web service
- Yahoo maps web service (free, but limited to 5000 queries/day)

Peter