[thelist] best PHP IDE program?

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Sat Jul 23 01:05:17 CDT 2005

Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 08:10 -0400, Nan wrote:
>
>>Evolters,
>>Can you tell me which PHP editor you think is the best? I looked at
>>Zend, it is expensive but maybe worth it. I am also looking at
>>EnginSite.  I searched Evolt for a discussion of PHP IDE programs, and
>>only found one article on Zend that was about 4 years old.
>

> You don't say what OS you're running...
>
> Emacs and Vim are my top two choices for just about everything. I know
> both have been ported to just about every Unix in existence and Windows,
> not sure about MacOS X.

The default installation of OS X comes with vim.

I have used Zend Studio since they allowed trial downloads, and finally
puchased it last year.  The program is not without faults, but its great
for what its made for, PHP work.

My favorite features (the ones I use everyday) are edit-over FTP, the
code analyzer, built-in integration with phpdocumentor, excellent class
browing functions, and the debug watch feature.

Other IDEs that I have tried before purchasing Zend:

Trustudio (Eclipse plugin)
PHPEdit
Komodo (from Activestate)

A good list of editors can be found at http://www.php-editors.com

The latest version (4.0) has a built-in SQL browser, so you can 'talk
your database' directly from it.  Personally, I have only used it once
or twice, just to see how it works.  I prefer the excellent Query
Browser from MySQL. Great interface (although not without bugs, but its
still beta) and the best part is that it has a built-in MySQL reference.

I would recommend you download the free 30 day trial and give it a whirl.

Hope this helps,
Burhan