[thelist] JavaScript to check /My Documents for Sharing

Mark Rees mrees at itsagoodprice.com
Thu Jul 28 03:23:15 CDT 2005

> We're writing a web-based course which (among other things) asks users
> to check that the /My Documents folder is not set to shared on their
> PC.  I'd like to make it as easy as possible for the user by providing
> an icon on the web page with a JavaScript which performs the check and
> gives a pop-up with the result.

This would be a massive security hole if it were possible, don't you think?
Imagine if every website you visit had javascript access to "My
Documents"...

I am presuming your web-based course is only supposed to work on Windows,
since you mention "my documents". So you could try writing an activeX
control to do this, which users could accept for download and run. However
it's not really that simple for the user any more if you do this. You may
also run into problems making it work on different operating systems.

I think a set of easy to follow instructions are a better bet,