[thelist] PHP -Self-finding navigational includes

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 08:00:47 CDT 2005

> > I do it the other way around, take an HTML template and just compare
> > the current page to all links:
> >
> > http://onlinetools.org/tools/easynav/
> >
> > I did this mainly to allow clients to edit the navigation in Contribute.
>
> A very slick little script. I wish I had thought of such a thing instead
> of using id's for <body> tags and CSS to highlight the current page.

Which is visually sensible but not really helpful for a visitor
without eyesight. The current page just should not link to itself.
Navigation is a content issue first and then design.

> This script would work also if the navigation itself is generated by a
> PHP include file?

This script is an include file, and needs the template, so, no. You
can use the template as a PHP variable in the script though, but the
idea was to allow someone to maintain the navigation without knowing
PHP.

> Also, why is this script not on the PHP Tools page of onlinetools.org?
> Are there more goodies there not listed?

Possibly, I haven't updated onlinetools in a while, the blog is where
things happen (easier to update).
I know I know, I should...

--
Chris Heilmann