[thelist] Bitwise Logic Tip [WAS: job (NYC - USA) Contract -.netdeveloper 4month as signment]

Chris at globet.com Chris at globet.com
Fri Jul 29 06:59:10 CDT 2005

Jay

[..]

> So, making people aware of employment opportunities is now
> spam? Seems strange to me as I know several here who might be
> looking for an opportunity.

IMHO it depends on the context. Art is a recruiter - he's posting the
job opportunity to try and make a buck, not out of the goodness of his
heart. It's unsolicited email, commercial in nature - as far as I am
aware this is the definition of spam.

He did not preface the subject line with [OT], so those who do not wish
to receive off topic items cannot filter it. Even though the job
opportunity was web-related, I would personally consider this off-topic
for a discussion list - there was no discussion required, Art even
specified off-list replies. Art made no effort to post a tip, even when
prompted.

I already receive all sorts of spam to an email address that has only
ever been exposed by me to the list. This is not a problem, as it all
has characteristics (or lack of them) which allow me to filter it. I
also get regularly contacted by recruiters, which I either accept or
contact them to have me removed from their database.

If people on this list wish to receive ensolicited commercial email from
recruiters, then I am certainly not the person to deny them this. I
would however contend that a permission slip from the list owners does
not give a member carte blanche to ignore any other rules or courtesies
that one may otherwise expect from members.

I would invite comment, as I would be interested to know if my opinions
above differ significantly from others on the list.

Chris Marsh
Web Developer
http://www.globet.com/
Tel: +44 20 8246 4804 Ext 828
Fax: +44 20 8246 4808

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
necessarily the Company. This message is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information that is confidential and privileged and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not
If you have received this communication in error, please contact the
sender immediately and delete it from your system.