[thelist] SQL Server 2000 DTS jobs, mySQL and flush-hosts

Mark Rees mrees at itsagoodprice.com
Fri Jul 29 11:23:52 CDT 2005

 Hello

We have an SQL server 2000 machine which runs various DTS jobs reading and
writing data on a mySQL box.

Recently, we had to run flush-hosts on the mySQL machine. As far as I can
make out, this clears all of the connection history for each login. This
was in order to allow a remote user to connect, as they had been blocked
automatically owing to a number of consecutive connection failures(this is
a built-in feature of mySQL).

A surprising consequence of this was that the root account no longer
worked when connecting from the SQL Server machine. All other accounts
worked OK, including root on the mySQL machine.

Creating a new account for the SQL Server machine, as a clone of root,
allowed connections again. However, now all the jobs take around 30
seconds, where previously they took only a few seconds, rarely more than
five.

Running the sql statements contained in the jobs using the linked server
connections used by the DTS jobs works as quickly as expected.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before, or can you suggest the next step
for troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance

Mark

www.itsagoodprice.com - top-brand electronics for less.