[thelist] IE layout problems

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Mon Aug 1 19:51:37 CDT 2005

thanks for that Steve, but it isn't that. As you can see the page now uses the proper DTD:
http://www.immigratenz.co.nz/expo-programme.html

Anyway, I thought that if you gave a browser the proper DTD for Transitional that it still used Quirks mode? I tried using the proper DTD for Strict as well but it still breaks in IE6.

Any other ideas? I presume it is a IE CSS bug, but I don't know which one or how to solve it.

The code is:

<dl class="tabular">

description</dd>

description</dd>

</dl>

/* tabular definition list */
dl.tabular {
	float:left;
	width:85%;
}

dl.tabular dt {
	float:left;
	clear:left;
	padding: 0.5em 0;
	width:17%;
	margin: 0;
}

dl.tabular dd {
	width:68%;
	margin:0 -1px 0 0;
	padding: 0.5em 0;
	float: left;
	margin: 0 ;
	clear: right;
}

cheers

--
Dr Stuart Young,       	+64 (0)9-815 4321 x 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz> 	+64 021 183 2846 (mob)

On 8/1/2005 5:55 AM Stuart Young wrote:
> hi, sorry for being so dim, I'm sure this is a FAQ but why does this CSS page work fine in Firefox/Safari but break in IE?
>
> http://www.immigratenz.co.nz/expo-programme.html

One reason (probably) is that you have an incomplete Document Type
Declaration at the top of your page. That causes IE6 to render in
"quirks" mode, duplicating the rendering weirdness of earlier versions.

Put this at the top of the page--before anything else--and at least some
of your troubles will disappear:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

That is, just to be clear, replace your current imcomplete DTD with this
one containing the URL.

--
Steve Clason
Web Design and Development