modified preordered tree traversal (was RE: [thelist] CF: Valuestransposition. Too ugly, needs a face lift.)

Mark Mandel mark.mandel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 07:33:55 CDT 2005

Sorry - I'm a little confused.

What is recursive about connect by?

They both are valid solutions, but if i was sitting on an oracle
server - I would use connect by over creating my own MPTT any day of
the week.

Totally discounting development hours saved by using an already
developed solution, you can't totally claim that one is faster than
the other given (a) it is very dependent on your implementation of
MPTT on the DB, and (b) you have to give credit to the fact that
connect by is a piece of code that is directly integrated into the
database server - it's not even a stored procedure, and would
therefore have very good performance.

I currently use connect by to do some fairly large tree traversal on a
production site that takes a fair amount of hits, and it handles it
with ease.  So I'm not sure where your preference of one over the
other lies.

Mark

E: mark.mandel at gmail.com
W: www.compoundtheory.com