[thelist] Holy Status Bar Batman

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:53:44 CDT 2005

> I was clear that this is an IE6 problem, and that it was intermittent
> (flaky) problem.  I can't reproduce this problem on my workstation using
> IE6 at all..  Not sure if you caught that when I read your response
> above.  The table of support above isn't very applicable to my
> situation, as this is a closed community website, and all users are
> running IE6.

No you weren't clear:
"We're using a JavaScript to launch a fixed size browser window.  Key to
the whole enchilada:  Suppressing the browser window drop-down menus,
tool bars and the status bar at the bottom.  Once this is done, we have
a known display size and design content to fit the available space.  -"

A simple
"I am trying to  open a window in MSIE 6 without the status bar,  but
sometimes the status bar shows up, do you have any idea what is
causing this"
would have been clear.

Did you  check if there are any  other JavaScript errors occuring or
some elements of  the page are delayed in loading? These can cause the
status bar to  appear.

> >You cannot win this battle, the browser chrome is the user's not yours
> >to define.
> In fact, this is being written for a closed community website wherein
> all the users are running IE6 ( and this is an intermittent bug ).  So
> I'm not sure you are correct in this instance, but perhaps for public
> websites you may be partially correct.  I don't write webs that control
> the skin on public websites myself.

Same difference. Company internal applications have to be accessible
the same way web sites are. It is probably even easier to claim
discrimination when the matter is an application you have to use.

Sorry if I offended you, but nothing in your email indicated this is
for a closed environment and  that this is just a demonstration code.
I am  currently doing an accessibility audit on a big chain of web
sites for the public and see exactly these mistakes day in day out,
and may have been a bit oversensitive.