[thelist] Site Checks

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Fri Aug 5 05:56:19 CDT 2005

I have a site which is approaching release. The designer and I have been
going over it for some time, but there's only so much we can do and we
are also now 'close' to it so it becomes hard to spot errors.

The site is CSS-layout and the HTML should validate, except for the
shopping cart pages, which use x-cart. They should at least render. :)

Here is the home page:
http://www.mishpachaw.com/index.php

Feel free to poke around. All the links should be working except for
'Instutional Subscriptions.' The other thing that does not work yet is
paying for an order. Until the actual payment, however, the shopping
cart should be working.

Aside from general impressions and thoughts and of course any rendering
issues on platforms or browsers we have not tested, a few specific
questions:

1 The buttons are styled to look like links. There is even a bit of JS
thrown in there to match the rollover, for those users with JS. There
has been a bit of a challenge to get the font of the buttons to match
the font of the links. Do they match? (buttons can be identified as
those 'links' which submit forms.

2 The Hebrew package magazines are in Hebrew, as is the last link of the
to navigation links. Do these show up as Hebrew characters? (if you
don't know what Hebrew looks like, it does NOT anyhow look like a bunch
of question marks. :) )

3 Any missing images or logical errors in the back issues and indexes?
These pages and also the advertisers and links run on a custom-built
(from scratch) CMS.

Any other comments welcome.

Thanks,
Hershel