[thelist] ASP.NET Security - protect a downloadable document

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Fri Aug 5 11:22:45 CDT 2005

Hi Casey,

   I believe the problem is that no other file types are run the ASP.NET ISAPI filter.  To add powerpoint files to the list, you'd need to open up the Properties window for the website in question, go to the Home Directory tab, click the Configuration button (in Application Settings), and then add an Application Mappings entry for the .ppt extension.  Take a look at the .aspx entry first and you'll know how to set things up (although you don't have to specify verbs; you can just use the "All" setting).

Hope this helps...

Peter

 From: "Casey" aspnet at thecrookstons.com

Okay, I am scratching my head over this one. If someone can help explain
this to me I would be VERY grateful.

I have a directory configured as an application on the server. Here's the
entire web.config file:

timeout="5" />

This seems to work fine for requesting .aspx pages, but what the client is
trying to secure is a powerpoint presentation. When linking to it, it
allows the download rergardless of the login status of the user.

How then would I protect such files?

Thanks!!!