[thelist] What is Reflector? [Was: sort expression]

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Wed Aug 10 13:00:10 CDT 2005

   Yes.

   At build time, the framework compiles your code into intermediate language (IL).  At run time, the just-in-time (JIT) compiler takes it the other 20% of the way to machine code so it can be executed.  This arrangement makes your .NET assembly much more versatile than usual, because (a) any upgrades in the framework can be taken advantage of immediately and (b) the same assembly can be copied to a different platform and optimized for *that* platform in the final compile.  Of course the latter will have to wait until the framework is actually available on other platforms, and who knows when that will be ;)

   Getting back to your question:  of course in the "old days" it was still possible to decompile assemblies; it just wasn't quite so easy the first time around.

Peter