[thelist] LDAP, PHP and MS Active Directory

Mark Rees mrees at itsagoodprice.com
Wed Aug 17 04:29:57 CDT 2005

Hello

I am using PHP v5 to write an intranet. The site is hosted on a windows 2000 server running Apache. I want to incorporate some form of Windows authentication to allow or deny access to given resources based on usernames and group membership.

I am trying to accomplish this using LDAP. I am able to connect and bind to our Active Directory server (also Windows 2000) from PHP, but when I want to perform a search, I need to know what the base record is. This is in the format o=my company, c=the country it is in.

This is where the problem lies. How do I find out this information? Is there some facility in Active Directory that allows me to see what the actual name-values are for all the records (like sn=rees)?

The line of code causing the problem is this: $ds is a bound connection to the LDAP server
$sr=ldap_search($ds, "o=company name, c=uk", "sn=g*");

It returns "Operations error"

Thanks in advance

Mark

www.itsagoodprice.com - top-brand electronics for less.