[thelist] how do you manage lots of websites and where do you host?

Paul Waring paul at xk7.net
Fri Aug 26 10:23:38 CDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 11:04:46AM -0400, Theodore Serbinski wrote:
> So what do you guys do?
>
> So any suggetions? Best practices?

I have a reseller account which gives clients CPanel and FTP access for
each domain they host, but the way I'm moving is towards a virtual
server where each client gets their own home directory, below which all
their domains are stored like so:

/home/{$clientname}/www/{$domain}/public_html/

e.g.

/home/example/www/example.org/public_html/

That way I can easily enforce quotas on accounts using the normal Linux
quotas and I can lock clients into their home directories in vsftp and
PHP (and other tools no doubt). It's also a doddle to add extra domains
because they're in a standard location, although it's worth pointing out
that I have only set this up on a test machine so far - no idea how well
it will work in practice. :)

Paul

--
Rogue Tory