[thelist] how do you manage lots of websites and where do you host?

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Fri Aug 26 12:08:38 CDT 2005

Theodore Serbinski wrote:
> Well guys, as my list of small part time clients grows, I'm battling a
> problem of hosting all of these sites in one place, with one login and
> not having to worry if the client has bought the hosting and received
> the login info or not. Right now I just tell them where to sign up so
> they can worry about the billing and I don't have to. Then they
> forward me the login in stuff and I setup everything for them. But
> then obviously this becomes a pain to actually administer with so many
> logins.
> One idea I've stumbled upon: http://www.site5.com/index.php

This is actually a fairly common offering, especially among cPanel-based
hosts; it's usually called "add-on domains" or something similar.  Many
hosts' upper-tier shared hosting include X add-on domains, with a small
fee for each domain beyond the initial X.  Another good host that offers
this is InMotionHosting.com, but there are scads out there.  With this
setup you have one hosting account, with multiple sites.  The root of
each website usually ends up something like:
/home/username/public_html/siteroot
And the whole thing can be administered from one cPanel login.  Maybe
site5 is different, but AFAIK you have some limitations with this, as
some control panel settings (e.g. Spam Assassin) apply across all
domains within the account, and a security breach would be a breach of
all client domains rather than just one.  If it's true that only you or
your [future] staff would have admin access, this setup is convenient
for multiple smaller sites.

If it's at all possible that your clients may get someone else to do
webwork, you might want to look at leasing a server and offering
webhosting.  I've been using a cPanel-based virtual server from
ServInt.com, and the experience has been very good so far.  A virtual
server is a good compromise between a multi-domain [reseller] account
and a full server.  You get root and SSH access, so you have full
control over all sites.  You have a control panel for all accounts (WHM
in my case, with cPanel), and each account has their own cPanel account.

Some leased-server options include ServerBeach.com, HostGator.com, and
ev1Servers (though my personal experience with ev1 was very bad),
RackSpace.  Search the list archives.  And of course webhostingtalk.com
as Mark mentioned, but IMHO the noise:signal ratio is a bit high there.

FWIW!
--
Max Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/