[thelist] Java for Beginners (with emphasis on uPortal)

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Tue Aug 30 02:30:54 CDT 2005

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK wrote:
> My first stop would be java.sun.com. They are the creator of java and
> they have pretty good tutorials on various levels. You can download
> sun's "The Java Tutorial" and work yourself offline if you like.
>
> Secondly, I suggest Deitel&Deitel's "Java How to Program" as a
> beginnger to intermediate book for reference. It has easy to follow
> text supported by brain-crashing exercises at the end of each chapter.
>
> Mark Wutka's book on J2EE is another excellent book which is
> upper-intermediate to advanced level, discussing more real-life
> scenarios; using server-side java on enterprise level projects etc.

I second the Deitel & Dietel recommendation. They have a format that is
easy to follow, and the exercises are great.  They also write textbooks
for most college computer science programs.

A good book that I didn't see mentioned is "Thinking In Java" by Bruce
Eckel. Its a great book for understanding not only Java, but OOP topics
and I recommend it highly.

You can download the free PDF version of the 3rd edition of the book at
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/ -- I recommend you purchase it as a
reference though :)

If you are going down the book route, stay away from the 'Java in 24
Hours' and similar titles.  Not worth it.

Warmly,
Burhan