[thelist] How to prevent FLASHING in a ComboBox

Sheriff sheriff at drivestream.com
Tue Aug 30 09:59:36 CDT 2005

It's a pure JavaScript-DHTML-Web-Page-Application! I was just giving a
background of my app.. but it does not matter.

> From: Hershel Robinson <hershelr at netvision.net.il>
>
> How about setting the control to disabled
> what about temporarily REMOVING all of the options
> I would suggest trying a JS-built combox replacement widget

You have really jotted down precisely the ideas that I had in my mind to
try if nothing is possible.. :) But, no use.. I will tell you the
reasons:

> How about setting the control to disabled

The app is about creating a WYSIWYG Tool... So, disabling the combo box
will mislead the end-users.

> what about temporarily REMOVING all of the options

Again, if all elements are removed the combo will be blank, which will
again mislead the appearance.

> If that also is not to your liking, I would suggest trying a JS-built
combox replacement widget in place of your HTML control.

I have a provision to insert a control provided the HTML from the user..
So we will be in trouble when an advanced user writes <select> html...
hehe :p
And moreover this is a WYSIWYG tool... So ppl will expect result HTML
for a combobox to be <SELECT ... and not a <SCRIPT ... tag

Anyways, I really appreciate your efforts in sharing your ideas forward
to me. That really helped me gather some out of options for this issue..
I would look forward a better alternative if you or anyone had a chance
to.