[thelist] Java for Beginners (with emphasis on uPortal)

Chris Hardy lists at semioticpixels.com
Tue Aug 30 11:55:23 CDT 2005

I suggest beginning by doing a full installation of uPortal - You'll learn a
lot about uPortal and how it fits togther. When doing the installation, give
priority to the documentation in the download. When we installed it, we lost
time following documentation on the website that turned out to be just plain
wrong.

The books and tutorials recommended are all good reference points - I know I
tend to learn most by just diving in. If you're not familiar with mvc, take
the time to learn the idea behind it then start out learning uPortal by
focusing on the view only. That way you're less likely to become
overwhelmed.

uPortal supports the jsr portal standard via channels and will support it
fully in version 3.0 - you should probably be familiar with JSR 168.
http://tinyurl.com/db9af

Other books that cover basics well:
Understanding OOP with java by Timothy Budd http://tinyurl.com/a7n6c
Data Structures and other Objects using Java by Michael Main
http://tinyurl.com/cpjfj

hth

- chris
http://www.semioticpixels.com