[thelist] grounding + shorts (installing hardware)

April april at farstrider.org
Thu Sep 8 00:50:14 CDT 2005

You're looking for the motherboard directly touching metal ANYWHERE.
The screws and risers holding the motherboard in should be directly
against the little contacts around the screwholes meant for them.
Common reasons are putting in more risers than the motherboard had
screwholes for or a spare misplaced screw getting lost behind the
motherboard.

Unfortunately, after the obvious, things can get really flaky.  By not
grounding yourself while working with the board in the first place, it
can fry the motherboard, which would have no visible signs.  The
motherboard might have just arrived broken, too, or been killed by a
power surge.  Any piece of hardware in the computer can be causing the
short... I once had a short caused by a 4.99$ computer case fan.  From
here, it becomes a big case of trial and error, pulling out hardware or
substituting in other hardware and seeing if it works after that.

If the computer is working with a new motherboard, the most likely
culprit is the motherboard didnt' work in the first place.  Grounding is
  important but isn't an automatic kill for every mishandled motherboard
(just a few).  Look into RMAing it.