[thelist] MySQL "OR"

Paul Waring paul at xk7.net
Thu Sep 8 08:15:12 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 07:50:48AM -0500, Andrew Kamm wrote:
> Is it proper to execute a rather long SQL query in MySQL?  I'm not aware of
> a reason this wouldn't work (unless there is simply a limit on the length of
> a queries), but I'm not sure if it's bad form or if the DB would respond
> poorly.

As far as I know, there isn't a limit, but it might take a while for
MySQL to parse extremely long query strings.

>             //Create 'or' section of query with array
>             $q_or = implode(" OR advertiser_id = ", $newAdvertisers);

Try:

$q_or = " WHERE advertiser_id IN ( " . implode(",", $newAdvertisers) . "
)";

The IN comparison operator works like a bunch of ORs in this case
(though there is another use of it). See this page for more information:

http://www.1keydata.com/sql/sqlin.html

I believe phpBB also uses this sort of query in some of its code
(groupmod.php or something) if you want to see a real world example.

Hope this helps!

Paul

--
Rogue Tory