[thelist] Change mySql field size

Bernardo Escalona-Espinosa escalonab at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:16:57 CDT 2005

> If the field is already of type TEXT, you don't need to change it. TEXT
> fields can store up to 64kB of text. You do not need to specify a size
> with them.
>
> The only text types that take a size are the VARCHAR and CHAR types,
> which up to 5.0.3, could hold up to 255 characters, but now can store up
> to 65535 bytes worth.
>
> > 2) Will the existing contents of these fields be affected? My guess is
> > probably not, but I just want to make sure.
>
> It won't be affected.

Cool, thanx for the info. I hadn't realised/remembered that you don't
need to specify a size in TEXT fields. Now I realised that the
limiting to 300 chars was taking place in my javascript and then also
in my php, but never in my database. Thanx again.

Berns

Bernardo Escalona Espinosa
  office: [52 55] 56 22 85 23
  fax:  [52 55] 56 22 88 77