[thelist] AOL Email Links

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Sep 8 17:10:21 CDT 2005

Anthony Ettinger wrote:
> I remember back when I did html emails in 1999, i had
> to write a subroutine in the main program, that said
> "if aol { send plain-text }"

Yeah, I send multipart-alternative by default as a general rule as well,
but that's not really the issue.  In times not too long ago, and perhaps
still, the AOL email client was set to text-only, but one could make
links by using HTML in an otherwise text/plain message[0].  It was/is
irritating, because true plain-text clients would then see the HTML
cruft.  I have a hard time believing AOL isn't just allowing pure HTML
email by now, but I have no evidence one way or the other.  Does anyone
have a recent experience or resource?  (searching aol.com is not helping
either)

[0] http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/aol_users_email_links.htm

--
Max Schwanekamp