[thelist] grounding + shorts (installing hardware)

Norman Bunn norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
Fri Sep 9 12:08:42 CDT 2005

The first thing you have to understand about electricity is that charges
are all relative.  For example, you don't feel anything while walking
across a carpet, but when you get to a doorknob that has a different
electrical reference, a spark and a shock happen.  This is why all
electrical devices use the absolute reference of "ground" or "earth", by
which they mean the planet itself.  Go outside and look at any power
pole and you will see a metal wire running down the side into the
ground.  This is to keep the entire power system aligned to a common
reference, the earth.

So what does this have to do with your computer and motherboard?  Well,
you need to make sure you are at the same common reference point or a
potentially damaging shock may happen.  To make sure of this, you need
to take hold of the metal chassis of the PC before performing any work.
Some even go so far as to recommend a grounding bracelet that will make
sure you and the chassis stay in electrical agreement.  This used to be
critical on older PCs, but newer ones are not near as sensitive, so the
hand-on method usually works fine.

So, before installing the motherboard, grab a metal portion of the PC
chassis.  Then when you take hold of the motherboard, try to make as
little contact as possible with the components on the board, handling it
by the edges.  When you put the board in place you will notice it has
exposed metal where the screws connect it to the chassis standout
mounting points.  This is how the motherboard is grounded to the chassis
to prevent any problems.

Oh, and I would avoid working on a PC on a rug.  Those fibers can
generate some interesting charges, just ask the doorknob.

HTH,

Norman

---

Norman W. Bunn
norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
803.405.1008
www.CraftedSolutions.com
Crafted Solutions, Inc.
Web Design & Development
Web Site Hosting & Custom Solutions
"Get the results the Internet promises;
 get the 'Net Result' from Crafted Solutions!"