[thelist] Secure Instant Messaging

Paul Waring paul at xk7.net
Tue Sep 13 07:22:54 CDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:03:10PM +0300, Hershel Robinson wrote:
> This product works, but has a lot of features I don't like, or rather a
> lack of many features that would be useful (like a drafts folder,
> user-defined folders, full RTF support). So while I don't think it's
> great, it does do what it's advertised to do.

I don't know if Jabber provides all those, but you could run your own
server with SSL support and only run it on your internal network plus
require authentication and that should stop anyone from outside getting
in. As for clients, there are literally dozens to choose from and for
every platform so if anyone uses something other than Windows you won't
have any problems.

Best thing is to read up at www.jabber.org and see if it meets your
feature requirements.

Paul