[thelist] Secure Instant Messaging

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Sep 13 19:20:54 CDT 2005

Microsoft has a product called Live Communication Server (LCS). Uses Windows
Messenger on the client. Allows for TLS (encryption/authentication) of
clients, and also archiving of conversations to a database. It does require
you to have Active Directory though.

Cheers
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Hershel Robinson
Sent: Tuesday, 13 September 2005 10:03 PM
To: Thelist
Subject: [thelist] Secure Instant Messaging

One corporation I work with uses e/pop for secure instant messaging and
chats:

http://www.wiredred.com/index_skip.html

This product works, but has a lot of features I don't like, or rather a
lack of many features that would be useful (like a drafts folder,
user-defined folders, full RTF support). So while I don't think it's
great, it does do what it's advertised to do.

A different organization with which I am now associated may also be
interested in such a product. We presently do not have a dedicated
server, however. We have a shared Linux server hosted by HostRocket and
I have a Windows 2K test server in my office. I suppose we might be able
to arrange for a dedicated server from HostRocket if that would allow us
to install messaging software.

It is also conceivable that I could put it on my local test server, but
I am a bit hesitant about that because my current firewall setup seems
to work very well as far as I know and I myself do NOT know much about
servers and server security (on a serious level) and to open my firewall
for messaging connections makes me a bit nervous. I know just enough to
know that once you open yourself to outside connections, unless you
really know what you're doing, you may be asking for trouble down the line.

Anyhow, anyone have any suggestions? Everyone on the team uses Windows
on their desktop and I would of course ideally like a windows app (as
opposed to some sort of browser-based thing) for the client end.

Thanks,
Hershel