[thelist] CVS server specs

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Wed Sep 14 12:59:45 CDT 2005

Hi Paul, before you install CVS, I'd suggest you take a look at
Subversion (SVN). Its intended to be a more modern version of CVS that
keeps most of the good stuff (and the syntax) of CVS while cleaning up
some cruft and glossing over some rather glaring oversights in CVS. For
instance, in CVS you cannot move a file. You have to delete it from one
place and add it in another area, thus killing off its history when you
look at it in the new area. SVN has a move command.

SVN does run under XP although I've only implemented it under Linux. SVN
also has some good gui apps written for it under Windows, such as
TortoiseSVN.

Subversion can be found at: http://subversion.tigris.org

As for beefiness of the machine, I think that file system performance is
going to be the biggest issue. So have a good hd setup with fast drives
and keep it defragged will likely be the biggest performance indicator.

Cheers,
Judah