[thelist] Linking to a movie - best practice?

Jono jono at charlestonwebsolutions.com
Fri Sep 16 20:25:25 CDT 2005

Apple does as good a job as any site I've seen when it comes to movies on
the net.  They use QuickTime (of course) for all of their movies, and the
new H.264 format is pretty interesting.  If you want quality, I don't think
you'll beat QT.  It is common, for sites that have a lot of movies, to offer
both QT and Windows Media Player as options.  Have a look at Apple's move
encoding, and then maybe dig around on Micro$oft's site for some examples?

The QuickTime movie trailers are particularly nice:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/

QuickTime:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mac.html

What's also interesting is QuickTime's integration with iTunes, which is
getting to be pretty popular, thanks to the iPod and the iTunes Music Store.

Here's a simple example of a QuickTime trailer that has a "Click here to
play" functionality:
www.apple.com/trailers/warner_independent_pictures/everything_is_illuminated
.html
--> mind the URL wrapping.