[thelist] Linking to a movie - best practice?

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Fri Sep 16 23:48:28 CDT 2005

Oh? That's funny, because I happen to be rather heavily involved in a
couple of free software projects (in particular, the lighttpd web
server). Alpha /does not/ have a rather different meaning. Alpha
software is 'released' generally to get the involvement of other
possible developers, to bring the software to a state of completeness.
When even beta software (witness Firefox) is 'not intended for general
usage', 'alpha' is definitely not intended for the masses.

> as I mentioned, the bitstream format is frozen (as of alpha

I think that, much more important than the format being defined and
forwards compatible is whether or not the actual software/codec will
cause the users computer to barf a segfault/BSOD, no? That's "not a good
user experience".

Robert