[thelist] Site check please rocky-hills.com

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sat Sep 17 23:31:03 CDT 2005

Ken Schaefer wrote:

> : bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Felix Miata

> : BTW, the CRT I use at 1792x1344 and 2048x1536 was one of 3 identical
> : garden variety 19" Dells

> Those resolutions are not mainstream for 19" CRT monitors.

What does that mean? Are we to permit only mainstream users to use our
pages, discriminating against all those not mainstream?

BTW, my even older Sony 17" CRTs, also given to me after at least 4 years
of service by the original owner, also will do 1792x1344 (@16 bit with an
old 16M RAM AGP card). If you try, you'll find the maximum advertised CRT
resolutions tend to be the maximum preset configurations, not the maximums
the devices can actually support. These 200GS 1792x1344 Sonys are claimed
by Sony to support a maximum of 1280x1024.

> And dealing with
> every corner-case simply doesn't make good business sense.

Is there any need to deal with any particular case, edge or otherwise,
when you use fluid/adaptive design? Are you sure you're not just making
another justfication of just-like-everyone-else-did-with-tables 760px
width & 11px text?

> FWIW I'm aware of the issues you raise. I use a Toshiba M200 Tablet for a
> laptop. That does 1400x1050 pixels on a 12" panel. However I also realise
> that this is simply not the norm.

It's close enough among laptops, which have recently begun outselling
desktops, thus becoming the norm among new PCs.

Assuming you don't believe [close enough] is true, where's the threshold
between norm and non-norm? How is this line determined? Why need there
be any line?

> The net result - if you want
> to use hardware/software way outside the norm, then expect to have to make
> some kind of tradeoffs between the benefits you get from your particular
> hardware/software and your experience of the world.

What I expect is to be able to take maximum advantage of my hardware
investment. After all, it's mine. But, most deeziners apparently ass-ume
I shouldn't be permitted this luxury and make it painful to make that
deviant choice. Even the more enlightened ones, as are most we regularly
have in this and forums like it, seem resistant to the concept of
permitting visitors to use their own equipment as they see fit.

Actually what I expect is for people to show serious respect for other
people's wishes by not making unnecessary and painful impositions upon
them. Most web designers apparently don't agree with me. What they think
is best to them *obviously* must be what's best for everyone. They need
to come around on their own, else governments will start making it
painful not to by imposing section 508 or its ilk on everyone publishing
for the web.

This last is actually a modern norm among professions. Self regulate
yourselves into doing the right thing, or eventually the gummint will
decide what that right thing is for you, and provide you a bureaucracy
and a mountain of regulations dictating how you shall comply.
--
"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you."
                                                Psalm 55:22 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/