[thelist] Site check: Staples.com

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Mon Sep 19 23:04:45 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 23:06 -0400, M. Seyon wrote:
> And you make this statement based on the fact that you have:

- found their Web site unusable due to a patently obvious lack of
testing and/or a very erroneous assumption that everyone uses the exact
same browser, operating system, and hardware that was used to test it
the one time it was tested.

I have the answers: Dump the Javascript for the same redirect executed
*on the server*. Don't dump the user into an error message about cookies
until they actually need to have cookies turned on (cookies are barely
acceptable for shopping carts, however I emphatically *should not* have
to accept cookies to merely browse or, worse, just to find a
brick-and-mortar store location).

Obviously, the current "Webmaster" (and I use the term loosely) hasn't
made much of a Web site, and hasn't mastered much of anything.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>