[thelist] Site check: Staples.com

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Sep 20 02:20:11 CDT 2005

What evidence (other than your opinion) do you have that it's broken? Site
seems to work perfectly well for me.

> > > It's rather well known that letting any
> > > old site run Javascript on your system is poor security practice
> >
> > No, it's not a "poor security practice".
>
> Yes it is, the same way running every program you get in an e-mail is
> poor security practice.

Again, your opinion only.

> > It's a risk, like everything you do, and every piece of functionality
> > you want from your software. Risks are there to be managed, avoided or
> > passed to something else. What might not be acceptable to you is
> > perfectly acceptable to me - I certainly have javascript enabled in my
> > browser.
>
> I do, for sites that I trust, and only sites that I trust. Everybody
> else falls back to the non-script alternative.

So, it's not poor practice. It's a risk. You manage that risk. You allow
javascript to run for sites you trust. Everybody manages risk differently.
You manage it a particular way. I manage it in other ways.

> > I think that's largely irrelevant to someone running a large web site.
> > Anyone running a large scale public site would be obtaining metrics on
> > what browsers people are using, and what functionality they have
> > enabled. My experience is
> > that people with your setup are in a tiny minority.
>
> So are people with >$1,000,000 annual income. Are you as quick to write
> them off as a tiny minority?

It's all about what makes good business sense. I'm astounded that your fail
to see that. There are *costs* involved with catering to any particular
configuration. Unless there's a payoff, there's no point spending the money.
Shareholders don't hand over their money to companies for them to p*ss it
down the drain catering to markets that don't produce a return. If there were
enough people earning >$1,000,000 that had a particular browser combination
and where willing to spend money at the store, then we should cater to them.
If not, then there's no point spending the money.

Cheers
Ken