[thelist] Site check: Staples.com

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Tue Sep 20 07:21:41 CDT 2005

Your implication is that the site is non-conformant: "works, according
to the RFCs and standards".

And whilst I /do/ agree with the use of 301/302, etc... I can tell you
definitively of several environments where 301/302 redirects
categorically do NOT work: most i-mode/wap 2g/wap 3g platforms. Where
provider implementation details spell this out as an issue, handsets
(that next bastion of a truly potable web, one way or another) either
are not followed, or are 'quite broken'.

It's also a lot more difficult to upgrade phone firmware than a desktop
browser.

But, I will admit, this is me playing devil's advocate now.

Rob