[thelist] Form question - plz help

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 07:59:34 CDT 2005

Brian Delaney wrote:

> I am developing a form that the user will select from a drop down list
> a allegation code.
>
> There will be times when multiple allegations are possible. I want to
> avoid showing 10 or so drop lists if they are not needed.
>
> How do I prompt the user asking if there are additional allegations
> and if they respond yes, I show another drop down list?

There are quite a few tutorials on this - Google/4 guys from rolla/15
seconds etc will probably land you some answers. Thing is, though, how
many allegation codes are there?

It sounds like dropdown lists (single line select menus) are not the
correct thing to use if each list has the same set of entities. You can
use the multiline select menu, which allows the user to Shift-select
multiple entries, but this is cumbersome and many users will not know
how to work with it. Depending on your audience this may be better than
multiple select menus.

Otherwise I would be inclined to use checkboxes written out in a
vertical list if there are no more than 30-40 items.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian