[thelist] Site check: Staples.com

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Tue Sep 20 13:08:23 CDT 2005

I don't think this actually reflects the scenario with Staples.com.  What
you say may be a way of looking at it, but I think it's more a case of
poorly coding to the largest demographic.  If the coders were slightly more
competent, they could've done that without alienating the 2nd and 3rd
largest demographics.  In any event, they messed up, but to say that they
coded so that it only works in one browser is a bit extreme.

> > I sure love Terminal Services/Remote Desktop in
> > times like these.  I still can't fathom (and I guess I'm dense
> > or something) why some people have a love affair with
> > SSH.
> >
> > See, Windows ain't all that bad!
>
> Grep, security, etc? When was the last time you ever
> found anything you're looking for with their 'search
> function' ;-)

If you are connected to the properly secured network via VPN, is the
"security" really an issue?

The built-in search function does suck.  Thankfully, there are plenty of 3rd
party tools that do a great job--ironically, even the GUI based search tools
are available via Terminal Services.  Which, all be told, was my point in
the first place.  If I had the option between shelling into a machine with
all-out GUI (and optional command line) vs shelling into a machine at the
command line only... well, give me the all-out GUI any day.

> Anyway, I don't expect someone to agree if they've
> never tried it.

If you are implying that I've never tried it, then shame on you.  :-)  You
don't even know me.  Regardless, no offense taken.

Casually and respectfully,

Joshua L. Olson
WAE Tech Inc.
http://www.waetech.com/
Phone: 706.210.0168
Fax: 413.812.4864

Monitor bandwidth usage on IIS6 in real-time:
http://www.waetech.com/services/iisbm/